Best Burundi Coffees in 2021
- 1 Best Burundi Coffees in 2021
- 1.1 Grand Parade Coffee, 3 LB Unroasted Green Coffee Beans - Burundi Kayanza - Women Produced Single Origin - High Altitude Bourbon Variety - Fair Trade - Fresh Raw Coffee
- 1.2 Red Bay Coffee Carver's Dream Whole Bean Espresso - Burundi & Guatemala Coffee - Direct Trade Espresso Beans - Specialty Coffee Whole Bean - 12oz Resealable Pouch of Specialty Coffee Beans
- 1.3 Rare Single-Origin Burundi Kavugangoma, Whole Bean, Medium Roast, Premium Arabica Coffee Beans Grown at High-Altitude, Keto Friendly, Small Batch Fresh Roasted 12 oz (Gift Wrap Available) - Mojave Coffee
- 1.4 Red Bay Coffee Motherland Whole Coffee Beans From Burundi | Direct Trade Whole Bean Specialty Coffee | 12oz Resealable Pouch
- 1.5 Grand Parade Coffee, Burundi Medium Roast, (12oz) Whole Bean, Fresh Roasted Gourmet Arabica Coffee, Women Produced Single Origin, Fair Trade, 12-ounce Bag
- 1.6 Mt. Whitney Burundi Kavugangoma Coffee (Whole Bean, 5 Lb)
- 1.7 Burundi Kinyovu Coffee, Whole Bean, Women Grown/Produced, AIR ROASTED COFFEE by Airis Coffee Roasters (12oz)
- 1.8 Burundi Mugano Coffee Beans, Light/Medium Roast, Air Roasted Coffee, Good As Gold Coffee Roasters - 12oz Bag Whole Bean
- 1.9 Barbarossa Burundi Coffee -Natural Premium Quality Handcrafted - Medium Dark Artisan Roasted - Low Acidity Jasmin Hibiscus Aroma Whole Beans | 2019 Neighborhood Favorite Award
- 1.10 Grand Parade Coffee, 5 LB Unroasted Coffee Beans - Burundi Women Produced Single Origin - High Altitude Specialty Arabica - Bourbon Variety - Fair Trade - Fresh Raw Green Coffee - 5 Pound Bag
- 1.11 Coffee in Burundi
- 1.11.1 Coffee processing in Burundi
- 1.11.2 Coffee production in Burundi
- 1.11.3 Arabica bourbon coffee variety
- 1.11.4 Green coffee producing in the country
- 1.11.5 Quality of Burundi coffees
- 1.11.6 Interesting things to note about Burundi coffee beans
- 1.11.7 Flavor profile
- 1.11.8 Coffee producing regions in Burundi
- 1.11.9 Issues in Burundi coffee growing industry
- 1.12 Additional Products to View
Coffee in Burundi is often compared to Rwandan coffee and is characterized with citrus delicate and winey acid with fruitier sweetness and pleasant aroma.
- Flavor Profile: Blackberry, Candied Peach, Butterscotch, Chocolate. Balanced, Medium Bodied Coffee With Rich Flavors.
- Specialty Arabica Coffee From Mountainous Kayanza Region. Washed Processed. Premium African Coffee With Similar Taste to Kenya AA, Rwanda Green Coffee.
- Specialty Grade Green Coffee. Whole Beans. Fresh Harvested Top Coffee Lot.
- Green Coffee Beans For Roasting. Roast to Fit Taste. Light, Medium Roast Recommended.
- Packaged in 2-ply Foil Bag With Air Valve. Starter Sampler Size Pack For At-Home Coffee Roaster.
- CARVER'S DREAM - Carver’s Dream is a bright, fruit forward espresso blend of Guatemala & Burundi coffees - a combination of medium fresh roasted coffee that dictates balanced sweetness and rich, warm body.
- AWARD WINNING COFFEE - Red Bay Coffee is a multiple medal winner at the world’s largest coffee roaster competition, Golden Bean North America. From seed to cup, Red Bay is devoted to sourcing, roasting and delivering the best and most beautiful single origin whole bean coffee to the people. We work globally to source high quality, sustainable and direct trade coffee.
- TASTING PROFILE - Carver's Dream tasting profile consists of cherry compote, almond paste, and dark chocolate in each satisfying cup.
- WHOLE BEAN SINGLE ORIGIN COFFEE - Red Bay Carver's Dream is sourced directly from Guatemala & Burundi. We source our coffee beans from direct agreements with sustainable farms around the world. Red Bay Coffee supports local agricultural development.
- ROASTED IN OAKLAND - Our coffee is roasted in Oakland and to ensure top freshness for upto 90 days they are packaged in a sealed yet resealable pouch with one way degassing valve.
- SUPERB BURUNDI COFFEE - Enjoy a delicious brew in your favorite cup with our single origin coffee from Burundi! This premium sourced, hard-to-find coffee provides a delightful experience with its rich aroma and flavor.
- EXPLORE THE TASTE OF BURUNDI - Explore our specialty coffee beans sourced from Burundi, Africa. Although less well-known, Burundi coffee beans have a must-try distinctive flavor - hints of tamarind, black tea, and brown sugar with a satiny body.
- FRESHLY ROASTED COFFEE BEANS - Our coffee comes from premium coffee beans grown at high altitude, hand-picked, and roasted in small batches. We preserve our small batch, fresh roasted beans in nitrogen-filled packaging with a one-way freshness valve.
- ARTISAN MASTER ROASTED - To give you great-tasting gourmet coffee, our team with Josef (Q grade artisan master roaster) carefully roasts, cups, and tastes to create the ideal roasting profile.
- MAKE COFFEE YOUR WAY -Our Burundi coffee gives you a rich and satiny coffee experience. It makes excellent drip, pour-over, cold brew, and french press coffee. Enjoy it at home, at work, or on the road - straight black, latte, espresso, or iced.
- Artisanal Small Batch Coffee At Its Finest: Quite simply the best way to drink premium coffee at an affordable price. This 12-oz pack of Motherland is freshly roasted in small batches at our headquarters in Oakland, California. It's the perfect gift for yourself or that special coffee lover in your life.
- Wake Up To Award Winning Flavor & Quality: Whether you prefer classic espresso, machine drip, french press, aero, or some other method, rest assured that this sampler pack delights even those with the most discerning coffee palette. Grind the whole beans through your favorite grinder, deeply inhale the aromatic scents, and savor the wonderful flavor notes of Orange Blossom, Turbinado Sugar, and Damson Plum.
- Ethically Sourced Through Direct Trade To Ensure Everyone Wins: All of our coffee beans are 100% ethically sourced through direct trade (better than fair trade) agreements that result in consistently high-quality beans, and generous wages for our farmers. Every purchase you make supports the livelihood of our farmers (and their families) all around the globe - everyone wins!
- Black Owned, Certified B-Corp, Second Chance Employer Because We Care: Our mission is to bring people of all colors and backgrounds together to celebrate community in the ritual of coffee. We're working tirelessly to instill values of inclusivity, diversity, and development locally here in the USA, as well as in our farming communities located in countries throughout Mother Earth.
- World-Class Customer Service You Can Count On: We guarantee you will love our coffee and invite you to give it a try. If for any reason you aren't thrilled, we invite you to reach out to our customer service team and we'll do whatever it takes to make you smile. Enjoy our collection of Jamaican, Ethiopian, Columbian, Cuban, Indonesian, & African light, dark, medium, and decaf roasts, in small-batch or in bulk, using any brew method you prefer to get the caffeine boost you crave. 🙂
- Flavor Notes: Peach, Berry Jam, Caramel, Tamarind, Milk Chocolate
- Direct Trade, Fair Trade Certified, High Altitude Burundi Coffee from Kayanza Region.
- Medium Roasted Whole Bean Coffee - Artisan roasted in small batches to develop remarkable taste.
- Freshness Guarantee - Fresh roasted coffee, packed & sealed to lock in flavor.
- 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- DISTINCTLY RICH FLAVOR - Taste the distinct flavor of our Burundi Kavugangoma whole bean coffee. These specialty coffee beans have hints of tamarind, black tea and brown sugar with a satiny body.
- SINGLE ORIGIN FOR SUPERIOR TASTE & QUALITY - Mt. Whitney’s Burundi Kavugangoma is a single-origin coffee, composed of a single crop. Single-origin coffees accentuate certain flavor attributes specific to a region, and are of superior taste and quality.
- FRESH COFFEE, ROASTED TO ORDER - Mt. Whitney Coffee Roasters takes pride in offering the best specialty coffees from around the world. Our coffees are carefully sourced and selected by our Q Grade Certified Specialist. Our whole coffee beans are hand-roasted every day by our Master Roaster ensuring a fresh cup of coffee.
- UNEQUALED FRESHNESS AND FLAVOR - Our whole bean coffee is packaged in a high-quality, three-layered aluminum bag with a one-way freshness valve. All air is vacuumed out of the bag and nitrogen is injected to prevent oxidation of the coffee.
- BREW IT YOUR WAY - Our roasted coffee beans work with most coffee makers letting you enjoy your cup of coffee exactly the way you want. Our coffees can also be used in a Keurig coffee maker with a reusable single cup basket to make a fresh cup of delicious coffee.
- 1 / 12oz bag of Burundi Kinyovu Coffee Beans from Airis Coffee Roasters
- ROAST: MEDIUM CUPPING PROFILE: Pineapple, hibiscus, green tea, toffee
- A direct trade coffee from the Kinyovu Wash Station.
- This Burundi coffee is an International Women's Coffee Alliance (IWCA) certified.
- Discover Air Roasted Coffee and Experience Taste Beyond Compare.
- BURUNDI COFFEE: 12oz Bag of Freshly roasted Burundi Mugano Whole Bean Coffee from Good As Gold Coffee Roasters
- FLAVOR PROFILE: Tangerine, Dried Fruit, with a bright sweet acidity and a smooth body
- ABOUT THE BEAN: This Burundi coffee is grown in one of the highest regions of Burundi. It actually takes the coffee cherries longer to ripen which gives more time for the sugars to develop and mature leaving you with a bright and sweet brew.
- AIR ROASTED TO PERFECTION: Our custom built advanced Air Roaster produces coffee that is brighter in flavor and cleaner than traditional roasting methods.
- A FAMILY BUSINESS OF 50 YEARS: Good As Gold Coffee Roasters is a family business that has been providing delicious, high-quality coffee at a great value for over 50 years!
- Award Winning Coffee : Barbarossa Coffee been awarded from nextdoor app by the consumers rates in 2017-2018-2019. It means you are purchasing a high end handcrafted artisan roasted specialty coffee bean
- Amazing Tasting Notes: Burundi Coffee has natural single origin coffee exhibits a clean, delicate sweet berry, natural flavor with a rich body and acidity. It means you are purchasing a high end handcrafted artisan roasted specialty coffee bean. Barbarossa Coffee not only serves its customers great tasting coffee but also gives them the opportunity to find their own favorite tastes and to get to know about what type of coffee beans they enjoy
- We Brew With Love: It all started with the dream of Coffeeman and Navy veteran Ozzy Guragac. Burundi Natural Bean is Roasted by a Coffeeman in an Individual Batch With Love. Rich Berry like Aroma Making it Perfect for Many Brewing Methods: Espresso maker, aeropress, For a truly pure experience, we recommend brewing with a french press or manual pour over
- Natural Premium Quality: Barbarossa Coffee try to develop more varieties of coffee so that you can select the coffee bean and brewing method of your choice, and it’s possible to customize your blend of coffee beans and even take your own blend home
- Your Trust Is Our Priority: Barbarossa coffee beans are roasted to perfection in order to ensure impeccable taste. We believe so deeply in our product that if you don’t love our coffee, we’ll fully refund the order, no questions asked
Coffee in Burundi
Coffee was grown as a cash crop during the Belgium colonial rule in Burundi. The coffees were often exported back to the European country or other colonies that the country had. The Burundi people were then restricted to plant just a particular number of crops and paid peanuts for their hard work.
Coffee processing in Burundi
Like most coffee producing countries across the globe, coffee in Burundi is produced by small scale farmers with micro plots. The farmers grow coffee in very small lands majority of them being less than an acre. The coffee cherries are usually taken to centralized stations for processing. Getting to single origin bean (single variety or single farm) from Burundi is almost next to impossible and is normally sold as single station coffees.
The coffees are processed with much carefulness and concentration to make sure the quality is not compromised with extensive sorting out, washing and fermentation to ensure consistency in the quality of the coffees. The country’s method of processing is similar to that of Kenya. After de-pulping the beans are dry fermented for about half a day and then deep soaked in water for a period of 12 to 14 hours. The coffees undergo floating process to sort by density of the beans and then dipped in water for more 12 to 18 hours. They are then dried on tables or raised beds.
Coffee production in Burundi
Coffee production in Burundi can be dated back to in the 1930s when it was introduced by colonial government of Belgium in the country. The coffee plants mainly grown here is the coffee Arabica which is also grown in most of the regions countries. About 800 000 families in Burundi depend in coffee growing. Farms are owned by small farm holders with a mean of about 250 crops per individual.
The farmers do not specialize in coffee growing but also have other crops like food crops and also keep livestock. Coffee production in the country has been subjected to civil wars and political instability. However right now the country’s export market coffee is fine and is promising.
Almost 25 million crops of coffee are cultivated in the country where most of it is bourbon and just about 60 acres are with coffee in the country. Farmers averagely own about 50 to 250 trees each. The country grows a few trees of Robusta though a very little percent, almost negligible.
Arabica bourbon coffee variety
Majority of coffee in Burundi is grown on elevations ranging from about 1250 to 2000 meters above the mean sea level. The specialty coffee that is mainly grown here is the Arabica bourbon. The coffee beans are processed using washing method.
Green coffee producing in the country
Coffee brokers are able to secure high end coffee beans from Burundi and make them available for wholesaling in the market. However there is no consistency in getting good quality coffees or single origin beans in the international market.
Quality of Burundi coffees
The beast coffee beans from Burundi can be stunning and have very good richness in flavor and quality. They are floral, sweet fruitiness, fig jam with bright. The coffees are usually lost through other bulky exports though some importers will seek these specialty coffee beans from the origin. The beans have a special and structured acidity and very lively.
Clean and fine coffee beans which are single origin (single country- washing station) have a rich acidity and body with delicacy in flavor. The coffees exhibits berry like sweet taste with floral notes and aroma with berry tones.
Interesting things to note about Burundi coffee beans
- The major coffee growing region in the country is Kayanza.
- The altitudes for coffee growing picks up to 2500 meters above the mean sea level.
- The major coffee harvesting period is between March to June when most coffee cherries are ripe.
- The processing method usually applied in Burundi coffees is through deep washing for de-pulping and then dried on tables, raised platforms.
- The aroma of coffee bean from this country is red currant mostly
- The common flavor of coffee is red fruit sweetness, dark chocolate like, Hibiscus and Jasmine.
- The coffees are usually characterized by creamy and rich heavy body.
- Burundi coffees have an intense winy sweet and sour acidity.
Coffees from Burundi have always been compared to the Rwandan coffees which include the winey taste which is also common in other east African countries. Common flavors are similar to the Kenyan coffee including the sweet fruitiness and high dense and bold beans.
Coffee producing regions in Burundi
The major coffee growing region in Burundi is kayanza. Other regions include cibitoke, Karuzi, bubanza, Muramvya, Ngozi, Kirundo, Mwaro, Muyinga, Krimiro, Bururi and Makamba.
Issues in Burundi coffee growing industry
After independence achievement around 1960s, coffee farming was privatized the government being left to just left to intervene for prices and research aid. However this did not benefit the industry as such as the coffee declined in quality and quantity wise not to mention the poor flavor and attracting lower prices. This in turn influenced many farmers to abandon their plants and focus on other income generating activities.
The country also experienced civil wars around 1990s which left the country in almost total damage with it economy in ruins. This greatly affected the coffee industry and at the same time appeared to be a promising income generating source to help the people recover. With a living example, Rwanda their neighboring country, the country saw coffee as a lucrative industry. The opted to have a healthy balance and stable investment between the private and state owned coffee plants. This has helped the tiny nation to recover as a coffee producer with more opportunities and stability.
Another issue that has affected the countries coffee is the potato defect observed in other African countries like Rwanda in small extent and Congo. The beans adopt potato like flavor if affected by this defect and aroma and is undetectable through sight. The researchers are working promisingly to get rid of the defect.
CoffeeCupNews delivers the top Burundi Coffee with daily refreshed reviews and lists of the top selling and rated products. Don’t read old reviews, ours are current and relevant.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2021-09-17.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.