Best Costa Rican Coffee in 2022
- 1 Best Costa Rican Coffee in 2022
- 1.1 Fresh Roasted Coffee, Costa Rican Tarrazu, 2 lb (32 oz), Medium Roast, Kosher, Whole Bean
- 1.2 Café 1820 Premium Whole Bean Kilo Costa Rica (2.2 lb./1 Kilo, 1 Pack)
- 1.3 Java Planet, Organic Coffee Beans, Costa Rica Single Origin, Gourmet Dark Roast of Arabica Whole Bean Coffee, Certified Organic, Grown at High Altitudes 1 14 oz bag
- 1.4 Copper Moon Costa Rican Blend, Medium Roast Coffee, Whole Bean 5 lbs.
- 1.5 Mt. Comfort Coffee Costa Rica Medium Roast, 2.5 lb Bag - Sourced From Local, Costa Rican Coffee Farms - Whole Bean
- 1.6 Costa Rican Coffee
- 1.7 How to roast the Costa Rican coffee
- 1.8 Additional Products to View
Costa Rican coffee is among the very best in the world with strong, well balanced and pleasant flavors not forgetting the amusing aromas. The country exports about more than eighty percent of their produce. The aroma is either fragrant, brown sugar or intense.
- SINGLE ORIGIN COSTA RICAN TARRAZU COFFEE is Intensely Flavorful With Notes of Honey and Chocolate. The body may be considered medium, but it sure doesn’t lack any flavor and produces an incredibly satisfying cup!
- CATURRA AND CATUAI VARIETALS. Grown at 1,300-1,600 meters. Fully Washed Processed. Medium Roast.
- COFFEE FOR EVERYBODY - sustainably sourced and Proudly Roasted, Blended, and Packaged in USA.
- All Our Coffees are Roasted in Our Environmentally Friendly Loring Roaster.
- AVAILABLE IN WHOLE BEAN AS 12 OZ, 2 LB, and 5 LB Bags.
- AMAZING AND DELICIOUS: Each cup of Cafe1820 Classic Whole Bean coffee has an intense and fine flavor, with notes of chocolate flavors and natural fruit. With excellent body, acidity and sweetness for a well-defined cup.
- THE PERFECT EXTRA TOUCH TO START A NEW DAY: Once you taste Cafe1820 ground coffee´s excellent body you will never want to taste anything different. At any time of the day, coffee helps to improve alertness and attention.
- EXOTIC & UNIQUE: High altitude coffee grown in nutrient-rich volcanic soils located more than 1,100 meters above sea level. Its great flavor, color and aroma come from a hard work of investigation to give our consumers an incredible coffee to a great price.
- ALWAYS FRESH: Cafe 1820 Whole Bean coffee has an innovative packaging. In addition to preserving all the qualities of the coffee, it provides an image of elegance and quality.
- 100% NATURAL PRODUCT: Cafe 1820 is a supreme gourmet coffee, prepared with selected beans from the exotic soils from Costa Rica. Cafe 1820 always with you.
- Dark Roasted for a Smooth Bold Flavor; Our Costa Rican is dark roasted to bring out the chocolate and caramel flavors; It is smooth with a light citrus note; This coffee is great any way you brew it
- No Pesticides; We use only 100% organic certified arabica coffee whole beans, grown without chemicals or GMOs; In drinking our coffee you will only absorb beneficial antioxidants naturally found in coffee grown at high altitudes
- Peace of Mind; Our coffee is grown by socially and environmentally responsible farmers that treat their workers well and protect native species habitats
- Whole Bean is Better; We only package whole bean coffee for the best flavor and so you may grind your coffee for any brewer; regular drip, pour over, French press, espresso, etc
- Family Owned and Operated; We want you to be happy; If you are not satisfied with your coffee please contact us so we can make it right
- PREMIUM COFFEE BLEND: Costa Rican Coffee is considered among the best in the world. Our medium roast coffee from Costa Rican is rich and delicious.
- CAFÉ QUALITY COFFEE BREWED BY YOU: Our Costa Rican blend is silky smooth and offers a nice bright wine-like profile and an eloquent finish.
- COPPER MOON COFFEE WHOLE BEAN: Copper Moon Coffee is Gluten Free, Non GMO, Allergen Free and Kosher. Our whole bean coffee is prepared in single batches and perfect for coffee lovers who prefer to grind at home for peak freshness and brew with a drip style, french press, pour over or reusable Keurig K-cup.
- REACH FOR THE MOON!! Copper Moon Coffee is a family roastery focused on a simple mission: to create evenly roasted, uniquely smooth, high grade coffee, giving you a perfectly satisfying taste that’s out of this world.
- SUSTAINABLE COFFEE SOURCING: Copper Moon Coffee has created our own globally sustainable coffee bean sourcing program. "SEE Copper Moon Rising" is an outwardly focused goal to achieve a positive social, economic, and environmental impact. We accomplish this by sourcing the best green coffee beans in high elevation and low elevation areas, as well as organic and single origin coffee beans from small family owned farms. Our goal is to empower women farmworkers, enhance income for small farms and focus on climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- Premium Grade Whole Bean Coffee - The Costa Rica Medium Roast is a single-origin bold coffee
- Luscious Flavor Profiles - Flavor includes notes of Dark Chocolate, Citrus Fruit, & Tropical Nuts
- 100% Roasted Whole Beans - 2.5 Lb resealable bag for maximum longevity, freshness, and flavor
- Internationally Sourced Beans - Grown on mountainside farms at high elevation in Costa Rica
- Mt. Comfort Coffee - Our goal is to provide the most excellent single origin coffee to our customers
Costa Rican Coffee
Costa Rica coffee is known for its uniqueness and high level grade. Functional and good solid infrastructure along with the correct conditions for coffee farming enable the Costa Rican farmers to cultivate and process their coffee up to selling and exporting without much struggle. Costa Rica is not among the bulk coffee producing countries but take pride in producing noble coffee than other countries. The Costa Rican coffee is best when freshly roasted rather than branded.
Species of coffee produced in Costa Rica
No cheap and lower quality caffeinated Robusta beans is produced and is illegal to do so. The nation burned growing of the variety to encourage Arabica beans production which is more valuable and liked across the globe. Interesting fact is that Arabica is sensitive to changes due to weather patterns pests where else Robusta prevail almost any other condition. Since Robusta farming is illegal the farmers have no option but deal with Arabica farming. This in turn resulted to the country producing only the best.
Peaberry Costa Rican beans
Only the best coffee beans from only the best trees are picked which basically represent just 5% thus giving the best to consumers. Therefore a cup of this variety is strong with pleasant flavors that are well balanced.
Costa Rican coffee tastes
The flavors of the nations coffee vary mostly according with the method of processing and region where it is grown. Washed coffee beans are characterized by mild and clean finished taste, chocolaty and milk or/and honey flavor hints with smooth and very bright fruit properties.
The natural processed coffee has fruit properties like that of grapes, berries and citrus with syrupy body. The product of honey processing is low acid, sweet flavor with molasses and honey notes with fruitier aspect. Honey coffee is the sweetest of all.
Coffee producing regions in Costa Rica
The best renowned Costa Rican coffee comes from is produced in the Tarrazu region controlling about 35 percent of the total produce. La minita is the most famous variety from this region all over the world with the farm providing distinguished coffee every year.
Another famous coffee farming region in this country is the Doka estate located on Poas volcano slopes along the central valley. This refine provides one of the best coffee grade and flavor in the country. To motivate its regions to provide good coffee, the nation holds an Excellency cup each year to identify the top coffee.
Coffee growing regions in Costa Rica are characterized by high altitudes, rich volcanic soils and magnificent weather: morning sunshine and afternoon rainfall. More than about 80 percent of coffee growing zones enjoy this conditions which are almost perfect.
Below are the eight coffee producing regions in Costa Rica
- Wet valley
- Tres Rio
- Central valley
- Central valley
Methods used for processing coffee in Costa Rica
1. Naturally processed- this method becoming a favorite with most farmers since the cost is high for getting water for washed method.
2. Washed- the biggest percent of coffee produced across the globe is processed through washing. The cherry is put into wetting mills and the fruit is forced out using machines and water.
3. Honey processing intermediate between natural and washed method. On the outset of the berries, only part of the fruit is eliminated from the beans and the remaining part dry with the bean. Product for this method is more sweet and sparkling flavor.
The coffee growers in Costa Rica usually leaves the fruit on for longer periods allowing it to get a lot of properties from the fruit as possible (natural coffee processing).
How to roast the Costa Rican coffee
1. Light roast: the flavor have hint of molasses, grape or honey. The taste is very sweet with mild acidic character and tastes very clean. The best way to bring out all this flavors is to brew using a paper filter.
2. Medium roast: this method mostly highlight full bode properties and the great ever sweetness.
3. Dark roast: produces a fine nice full of flavor product. This method gives an excellent clean and pleasant coffee characterized by great aroma.
Major Costa Rican coffee brewing types
Like every other brewing method available in the world sits well with Costa Rica coffee. This is highly attributed by the fact that most of the Costa Rican coffee is processed through washing. Example of the common methods is the pour over (filter brew) and lighter roaster. This method brings out the mild acidity aspect of the coffee. This of cause produces the finest, perky and clean cup of coffee from Costa Rica.
Other methods include automatic dripper and French press which are great for dark roast or medium brew. Espresso is suitable for a medium roast cup of Costa Rican coffee.
It is Important to note the following about Costa Rica coffee
Coffee production in Costa Rica is more advanced than in any other coffee growing nation in the world thanks to the Costa Rica national organization (Icafe). The association established a tax to be charged on all the countries coffee beans exports to fund itself. Only about 10 percent of Costa Rica population participates in coffee farming. Small scale farming is popular in the country as compared to large plantations.
Unlike other regions where all grades of coffee are mixed together, farmers in Costa Rica got the option of having their coffee beans milled at private millers. These millers separate the coffee according to specialty making it easier for buyers to have variety of their choice. Farmers are able to sell at varying prices according to quality.
The varieties of Arabica coffee grown is Caturra, Gesha, Villa Sarch, Bourbon, Typica and Villalobos. Coffee is harvested during December to February period. Elevation of growing area is about 1200- 1800m above MSL.
CoffeeCupNews delivers the top Costa Rican Coffee with daily refreshed reviews and lists of the top selling and rated products. Don’t read old reviews, ours are current and relevant.
Frequently Asked Questions
How good Is Costa Rican coffee?
Why is Costa Rican coffee so good?
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2022-05-20.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.