Best Dark Roast Coffee in 2020
- 1 Best Dark Roast Coffee in 2020
- 1.1 AmazonFresh Go For The Bold Ground Coffee, Dark Roast, 32 Ounce (Pack of 1)
- 1.2 Starbucks Dark Roast Ground Coffee — French Roast — 100% Arabica — 1 bag (20 oz.)
- 1.3 Amazon Brand - 100 Ct. Solimo Dark Roast Coffee Pods, Compatible with Keurig 2.0 K-Cup Brewers
- 1.4 Peet's Coffee Major Dickason's Blend, Dark Roast Ground Coffee, 18 oz
- 1.5 Starbucks Dark Roast Ground Coffee — Variety Pack — 3 bags (12 oz. each)
- 1.6 Maxwell House Intense Bold Dark Roast Ground Coffee (26.7 oz Canister)
- 1.7 DEATH WISH COFFEE Dark Roast Coffee Grounds [16 oz.] The World's Strongest Coffee, USDA Certified Organic, Fair Trade, Arabica, Robusta (1-Pack)
- 1.8 Yuban Bold Ground Coffee, Dark Roast 25.3 Ounce
- 1.9 ITALIAN Dark Roast Whole bean – 5 LB Extra Strong Coffee - The World’s Strongest Coffee Beans | Classic Black Coffee, Breakfast, House Gourmet, Italian Espresso- Roasted in New York
- 1.10 Folgers Black Silk Dark Roast Ground Coffee, 20.6 Ounces (Pack of 3)
- 1.11 Dark Roast Coffees
- 1.11.1 Essence of roasting coffee beans
- 1.11.2 Why people go for dark roasts
- 1.11.3 Dark roast is the most traditional method used
- 1.11.4 Flavor profile of dark roasted coffee
- 1.11.5 Some pros of using dark roasted coffees
- 1.11.6 Cons of dark roasting
- 1.11.7 Tips of having the best coffee brew from dark roasted beans
- 1.12 Additional Products to View
Dark roasted coffee beans are characterized by rich and intense flavor with full body properties. The common flavor tones are usually dark chocolate, nutty, burnt with a slight syrupy body.
Dark Roast Coffees
People got some misconception about dark roasted coffee beans some thinking they are burnt or ashy. Most people are not sure what to look for when it comes to choosing the right roasts for their coffee. The fact is that, it depends in what flavors you want in coffee and from what beans. For instance beans growing in most elevated regions like the blue mountain coffees in Jamaica or the east African coffee for instance those from Kenya are very dense. These dense beans are highly flavored by dark roast to extract the rich and intense aroma of the beans.
In terms of flavor dark roasting usually give rich dark flavor which are nutty, chocolaty, and earthy, full bodied which is a bit syrupy like. The beans also give some sweet, fruity and floral flavors though not well highlighted as in light roasts.
Essence of roasting coffee beans
Roasting helps to extract coffee bean flavors and aromatic qualities that are hidden in the coffee green bean. While roasting coffee beans they are usually exposed to high temperatures and hen cooled to stop the process when they reach the right roasting degree. The beans are light than the green coffee beans when roasted. They bear the coffee characteristic like aroma and flavors but the texture is different. Roasted beans are crunchy and can be ground for brewing. The darker the roast the bitter and less in acid the coffee will be.
Why people go for dark roasts
The major reason why most people buy dark roasted coffee is because it is readily available. One of that flavors are extracted easily ad is very ideal for cold coffee brewing. Besides being available the dark roasted beans coffees is cheap and affordable unlike the light roasted coffees
Dark roast is the most traditional method used
Coffee that was easily available in the market traditionally was those that were dark roasted and stills the same case today. Most consumers are very familiar with these dark roasted coffees all over the world even historically. Traditionally, the method was used to roast beans with inferior tastes such that you cannot taste the flavors. Somehow this attributes to the reason why most coffee commercials go for this roasting method. Roasting the coffee beans for longer periods assists in making a balance in the flavors present in the coffee beans.
Flavor profile of dark roasted coffee
A bean with brown dark shades to the black color usually has very low acidity, significantly lower than those found in light and medium roasted. The coffee loses acidity as it is roasted longer and at very high temperature.
Coffee beans with low density and require very little heat or force to open them have very little traces of the delicate nuances tastes that can be noted when dark roasted. The coffee beans flavors usually builds as the roasting continues mining denser coffee beans will have better flavor with dark roasting than the less dense
Smooth beans in texture aroma intensity depend on how dark the roast is and the origin of the bean being roasted. Common aromatic properties include smoky and carbonic which can become tarry if the roasting period is further prolonged.
As the coffee beans are roasted more and the darker the more shiny. The coffee usually bears more bitterness than a light or medium and outline when brewing the coffee beans. The coffee requires brewing with more care so not to over extract the bitter flavors of the beans.
Dark roast coffee beans are oilier than other roasts. The body of coffee peaks with the longer and darker roasts and the flavors are also enhanced.
Finally, as roast becomes darker the coffee sweetness decreases as well as the floral and fruity flavors. Nuance delicate flavors are generally lost as the roast becomes darker with the process building its own flavors. The common flavor well highlighted by the darker roast is the bitter and dark chocolate taste, spicy tones like the clove and black pepper, savory flavors and sometimes ash and smoke. The aroma can also be nutty and smoky.
Some pros of using dark roasted coffees
The dark roast got a full and rich body with more intense flavors which are numerous. Do you want just a very strong coffee drink without minding the specific flavors a dark roast is just fine. Something else is that small quantity of ground dark roasted coffee tastes more than light or the medium roast. High temperature degrees used for this type of roast help the flavors to become stronger and fully developed as the beans roast darker. For this reason dark roast coffee is cheap to make not forgetting that the coffee is cheaper in the store than the light roasted.
Cons of dark roasting
Dark roast coffee beans become more intense and are stronger than the delicate coffee flavors. This simply implies that when you roast the coffee darker you actually mask the original green coffee flavors and aroma present in the beans for tasting as well as brewing. However, most people will prefer the developed flavor during the roasting process.
From the same perspective of flavor masking, dark roast can also help cover coffee beans defects as well as unpleasant flavors. This is the case with many commercialized coffees being sold in most shops. Mind you with dark roast it is not possible to identify good quality in coffee especially if the coffee bean is not high dense. For this reason checking the quality of dark roasted beans is very essential.
It is recommended when buying dark roast blend, go for 100 percent Arabica. The reason beside this is that the beans are good quality and expensive though you should also chose companies with ethical coffee production reputation. Otherwise buying popular brands that are successive in the market is also advised.
Tips of having the best coffee brew from dark roasted beans
1. Fresh roast- coffee that is dark roasted, especially those referred to as Spanish, Italian or French roast lose freshness very quickly. It is important to buy coffee beans roast with order and ensure that you consume them really fast before they go stale for maximum flavor achievement. Something else is that pre-ground beans can compromise the taste of coffee. Sixty percent of coffee flavor is believed to get lost within a few minutes after grounding.
Coffee experts recommend fresh roasted and fresh ground coffee beans for an intense and rich cup of coffee.
2. Use of boiling hot water (with about 91 to 96 degrees Celsius). This applies for all coffee roasts though a darker roast will tend more towards 92 and 91 as compared to 96 and 97 degrees Celsius. The coffee is less bitter and smoother at 91 degree Celsius.
3. Use the right size of ground coffee beans. The most preferred size for dark roast is medium coarse grid coffee beans. This is because water flow well in such size and in case of dripping, these size drips quite fast. One reason why powderly ground coffee beans are not preferred is because they lead to over extraction of flavor especially the dark roast bitter taste. Very fine ground coffee can also fall through the filter holes especially when using the French press.
4. Use the right brewing method- dark roast tastes more and a dripping method is preferred than full immersion.
5. Roasting method- when coffee is roasted using the drum roasting method, the chaff is not remove in the process which can result to ash, unpleasant smoky and burnt flavor. On the other hand when air roasted is used, coffee is roasted in a fluid bed of air and the chaff is usually separated with the beans giving it a cleaner and less burnt flavor.
CoffeeCupNews delivers the top Dark Roast Coffees with daily refreshed reviews and lists of the top selling and rated products. Don’t read old reviews, ours are current and relevant.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2021-01-25.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.