Best Decaf Coffees in 2023
Decaffeinated or decaf coffee is simply a decaffeinated coffee to remove or reduce the caffeine content in coffee. Decaf coffee is easy to stomach, less bitter and also low acid. It is good for healthy coffee drinking.
- One 24 ounce can of Happy Belly Decaf Canister Coffee
- An Amazon brand
- Decaffeinated grounded coffee
- Medium roast
- One 29.3 oz. canister of Maxwell House Original Medium Roast Decaf Ground Coffee
- Maxwell House Original Roast Ground Decaf Coffee has a consistently great taste
- Decaffeinated coffee with a well balanced medium roast
- Made with 100% real Arabica and Robusta coffee beans
- Perfect for use in automatic drip brewers
- TASTE: Brew the deliciously familiar taste from McCafé into the comfort of your own home. This medium roast blend is simply satisfying with a rich aroma, smooth body and clean finish
- ROAST: Medium Roast decaf coffee made with 100% Arabica beans, and certified Orthodox Union Kosher (U)
- SUSTAINABILITY: We use 100% Responsibly Sourced coffee to support a healthier planet and an improved quality of life for farming communities
- QUALITY: We start with premium Arabica beans, then expertly roast in a temperature-controlled environment to bring out the best taste, every time
- QUANTITY: 24 oz of ground coffee
- Contains one (1) 10.5 Ounce Bag of Peet's Decaf Major Dickason's Blend Decaffeinated Ground 100% Arabica Coffee
- Flavor and Roast: Dark Roast Decaf. Flavorful, robust, full-bodied. Major Dickason’s Blend epitomizes the rich, flavorful taste of Peet’s
- Brewing Methods: Our ground coffee is perfectly suited to make drip or a pour over in your Chemex. For other brewing methods - espresso, cold brew, or French press - consider our whole bean coffees and grinding at home
- Decaf Done Differently: Every Peet’s decaf is naturally water processed to remove caffeine—not flavor—before meticulous roasting. And by using the same high-quality coffee beans, you get a decaf that tastes as good as the real thing
- Rich. Complex. Incomparable. Masters of our craft for over 50 years, we hand roast the very best coffees in the world.
- Rich, nutty overtones in a mellow blend of medium-roasted decaffeinated beans.
- Medium Roast.
- Gluten Free and Certified Kosher. 100% Arabica Coffee with natural and artifical flavors.
- New England Coffee has been roasting coffee the same time-tested way for over 100 years, so you can count on a consistently great tasting cup of coffee each and every time.
- Packaging may vary*
Before going into more details, it is important to note that coffee cannot by fully decaffeinate with zero percent of caffeine content. In some countries like the US, administration of drug and food insist at least 97 percent of the caffeine from the coffee for a consideration as a decaf coffee. In Europe a coffee is referred as decaf only if 99.7 percent caffeine content in coffee is removed.
The problem is that this is not required to be put in a packet so you can consume more caffeine in your decaf preferred drink purchased on a store. The most effective decaffeinating method is the Swiss water and ensures about 99.9 percent caffeine removal.
Important to note about caffeinated process
- The process is challenging- coffee contains a lot of chemicals that contribute to the aroma and flavors though only the caffeine is removed. Other contents concentrations should be left intact
- Green coffee beans are used for the decaffeinating process and roasted afterwards.
- Solubility of caffeine in water makes water a major decaffeinating agent.
- Water alone is not the best decaffeinating solution since it is not a selective solvent and dissolves everything soluble in the coffee beans. Some other agents are usually used the activated charcoal to speed up decaffeinating process and also prevent total flavor wash out by the water.
Swiss water decaffeinating method
Swiss symbolizes the origin of the method which was Switzerland around the 1930’s. This method is very popular and even more today and is a certified natural/organic method which results to 99.9 caffeine removal on coffee beans. Roughly, about a quarter of every coffee bean is made of soluble content in terms of flavor, oils, aroma and caffeine.
This decaffeinating method uses green beans and roasting only happens after the decaffeinating method.
The very first step in Swiss water method is to clean wash the beans. They are then dipped or soaked in water to open up the pores (pre-soaking). After this a bunch of beans is then immersed in hot water to remove all the soluble coffee beans elements. The resultant liquid is a solution of the caffeine, oils and soluble flavors extracted from the beans.
In completion of this, the flavorless beans are put away. Losing this beans is worth so as the process is fully organic with no use of chemicals.
Caffeine filter is then used to pick all the particles of caffeine. Though most of the caffeine is removed, the fact that oil and flavor remain makes the solution not really total free caffeine content (called extract). Another batch of coffee beans are pre-soaked to open up the poles and then immersed directly in the extract. Remember this is a solution with oils and flavors but no caffeine.The caffeine in the new coffee batch flows into the extract while the other soluble remain intact.
Other methods used in the decaffeinating process are indirect solvent method, direct solvent method and the CO2 process. Like the Swiss decaffeinating process, CO2 method is non-solvent method and no chemical solvent is used unlike the others.
What limits people from making awesome decaf coffee?
Being able to obtain some good quality flavored decaf coffee beans in not easy. This is highly contributed to the fact that the decaffeinating process damages the compounds constituting the coffee flavor which give the coffee some pleasant properties after roasting.
Something else is that roasting decaf coffee beans is complicated owing to the reason that they appear more brown than green. The beans make it difficult to control them during the roasting method since they do not respond to heat uniformly. On top of that the beans roast really fast since they got little moisture content in them.
However, if people are more careful and well informed while dealing with the decaf coffee, you can get a good and healthier cup of coffee. It is highly recommended to use not so dark roasted beans so as not to have a coffee with more damaged flavors as it have already gone through the decaffeinating process.
Best beans for decaf coffee
Since the coffee Arabica variety is not as caffeinated as the Robusta bean, most decafs are made from the Arabica coffee. Most people taking decaf coffee are not likely the coffee enthusiasts and this does not give it more minds when brewing resulting to terrible drinks. For you to enjoy a good cup of decaf, use some love and concentration when brewing it. Something else is that you should be very selective with the bean types, roasting and grounding so as to enjoy it more.
Sample of some of the best decaf beans
Lonestar decaf – wild coffee
This is decaf coffee made using the Swiss water method. It is a 100 percent coffee Arabica blend so some of the best quality coffee. The beans are sourced from southern America. Is usually a fair trade coffee produced from Texas and Austin.
The coffee is usually wild grown thus mold free and fresh flavor. These beans are popular for their dark crema. Lonestar coffee beans are organic, premium grade 1 high grown coffee.
Advantages of these coffee beans are that they are low acid and known for their freshness. The bean is characterized by nutty and caramel flavor accompanied with very great crema and is roasted in the US.
Eight o’clock decaf coffee
It is very popular in the US and is a bestselling brand in America. The coffee is good flavored and less costly (have no labels like fair trade, single origin or organic which mean value added brand). It is a product of methylene chloride decaffeinating. It is blend Arabica 100 percent with low acidity and smooth texture though very affordable.
It may not be as fresh since it is mass produced. The coffee is also generic flavored. The coffee is not as organic since a solvent is used for decaffeinating.
Don Pablo Decaf coffee
This decaf coffee is a Swiss water decaf and hundred percent Arabica blend. They are sourced from Columbia. Unlike many myths that decaf does not taste great, this in particular is different since it is rich flavored and full bodied.
CoffeeCupNews delivers the top Decaf Coffees with daily refreshed reviews and lists of the top selling and rated products. Don’t read old reviews, ours are current and relevant.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-11-22.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.