Best Ground Coffees in 2023
Ground coffee helps to extract the coffee components that are soluble from the coffee beans which make the aroma and the flavor of the coffee. Ground coffee go a big surface are exposed to the water and this brew a cup of coffee rather quick than it should have with whole beans.
- Medium Roast: Our original blend coffee is expertly roasted, delivering a perfectly balanced flavor with a smooth finish. Our signature blend has not changed in over 50 years and only three lucky people know the recipe.
- Brew It Your Way: Use your favorite blend in your automatic coffee maker, french press, pourover, and even for cold brew.
- Top-Quality Beans: We only use 100% Arabica beans from the most renowned regions of Central and South America that are carefully selected by our experts to consistently deliver the best blend possible.
- Signature Flavor: Our beans are expertly roasted for the taste and aroma you know and love. We can deliver an amazing cup of coffee, no matter where or how you enjoy it.
- Cup of Canada: Whether you like a dark roast, a classic cup of tea, or the rich flavor of french vanilla, we have a wide variety of coffee, tea, and specialty beverages that feature our signature flavors, ready for you to enjoy any time of day.
- Balanced, full-bodied medium roast with a smooth finish
- One 32-ounce bag of ground coffee
- 100% Arabica coffee grown in Colombia
- Roasted and packed in the U.S.A.
- Shown as a serving suggestion
- Contains 1 - 30 ounce canister of ground coffee
- Original Blend is the coffee that made Dunkin' famous, featuring a rich, smooth taste unmatched by others
- Medium roast coffee, specially blended and roasted to deliver the same great taste as the brewed Dunkin' coffee available in Dunkin' shops
- Pre-ground, ready to brew at home sweet home
- Enjoy the great taste of Dunkin’ at home
- Contains one (1) 20 Ounce Bag of Caribou Coffee Caribou Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee
- Caribou Blend: Medium Roast with a combination of sweet, spicy, and berry notes, Caribou Blend is harmoniously balanced for a relaxing, down-to-earth cup
- Quality Ingredients: Rainforest Alliance certified, 100% Arabica coffee, small batch roasted and hand-packed in Minneapolis
- Brewing Methods: Our ground coffee is formulated to make drip or a pour over in your Chemex. For other brewing methods - espresso, cold brew, or French press - consider our whole bean coffee and griding at home
- About Caribou: Coffee isn't just our business, it's our unrelenting passion. We love to roast it, brew it, smell it, and (DUH) drink it. But most of all, we love how it brings people together and inspires adventure, big and small
- Bright, crisp blend with balanced sweetness, nutty flavor, and a clean, silky mouthfeel.
- Light roast, caffeinated coffee
- 100% Arabica coffee
- Certified Orthodox Union Kosher (U)
- PREMIUM GROUND COFFEE: Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this limited edition 17-ounce bag of Starbucks Fall Blend medium-roasted ground coffee
- FALL BLEND GROUND COFFEE: Smooth and balanced, Starbucks Fall Blend medium-roast ground coffee brings warmth to the season by melding fresh spice notes, bright notes of citrus and balancing them all with a delicate hint of toasted nuts
- PERFECT FOR FALL RECIPES: With Starbucks seasonal coffees like Starbucks Fall Blend, you'll be able to make comforting recipes that fill your cup and delight your taste buds
- FRESH TASTE: Starbucks adheres to the highest-quality standards, shipping you the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans we brew in our cafés
- LIMITED-TIME EXCLUSIVE: Like the season itself, these limited-edition fall coffees won't be around for long, so be sure to explore all the fall seasonal offerings like Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha and Starbucks Pumpkin Spice before they're gone.
- Delicious taste and rich aroma of Folgers medium roast coffee, ready in seconds — no coffee maker required
- Decaffeinated coffee that’s 99,7% caffeine free lets you enjoy The Best Part of Wakin’ Up, even when you’re already awake enough
- Folgers instant coffee crystals can be mixed with hot water or milk
- Makes up to 120 suggested strength 6 fl oz servings per canister
- Contains 1 - 8 Ounce Easy-Open Flip-Top Jar of Folgers Classic Decaf Instant Coffee Crystals
- A taste of our iconic original glazed doughnut in a cup
- Smooth and sweet
- Medium roast, caffeinated coffee
- Certified Orthodox Union Kosher (U)
- ARABICA COFFEE – Kauai Coffee is an Arabica ground coffee, featuring a smooth, delicious flavor and amazing aroma. Each cup is a truly satisfying experience!
- VANILLA MACADAMIA NUT – We combined vanilla beans with toasted macadamia nuts and Arabica coffee beans for an authentic taste of Hawaii. Non-GMO
- ROASTED TO PERFECTION – Our Roast Masters use beans, 10% of which are grown on our estate in Kauai, to capture the easygoing character and subtle nuances that distinguish our ground Kauai coffee.
- GOOD FARMING – From growing the coffee to roasting and packaging, we employ sustainable, farming practices throughout every step of the process.
- HAWAII’S LARGEST COFFEE GROWER – Kauai Coffee is Hawaii’s largest coffee grower. We have just about 4 million coffee trees grown on 3,100 acres – a true Hawaiian coffee estate!
- GREAT TASTING Coffee Since 1859 – Winey notes and a rich, elegant aroma with a full-bodied finish. All of roasting is done at our own facility in Maryland, USA
- MEDIUM ROASTED COFFEE: From Our award-winning roast of 100% Colombian beans. All of roasting is done at our own facility in Maryland, USA
- BOLD FLAVORS: Prominent notes of coffee and caramel highlighted with the essence of foamy, steamed milk
- QUALITY GUARANTEED: 100% Arabica beans for premium quality and taste, Kosher certified
- COMMITMENT TO ENVIRONMENT: Through partnerships with different coffee organizations, we hope to support the coffee farming community with the goal to help improve the quality of life for all people involved in the coffee supply chain
- PACKAGING MAY VARY
- ALWAYS SMOOTH, NEVER BITTER: (1) 32-Ounce Bag of Ground Coffee, 100% Premium Arabica Beans, Breakfast Blend
- BRIGHT & FRUITY: Our Breakfast Blend Coffee features smooth, complex flavors without the bitterness that comes from over roasting
- POSITIVELY FOCUSED: From roasting in small batches to reducing water consumption, Cameron’s Coffee is committed to making every day brighter; Creating positive change means caring about our coffee, farmers and the environment
- CAMERON'S PUTS QUALITY FIRST: We choose only 100% Premium Arabica beans, hand crafted in small batches, leaving you with a craveable cup of coffee that's never over-roasted
- Contains one (1) 18 Ounce Bag of Peet's Big Bang Ground 100% Arabica Coffee
- Flavor and Roast: Medium Roast. Our most loved medium roast. Smooth with a balanced richness. Some have described Alfred Peet as the “big bang” of craft coffee—the one who started it all
- Brewing Methods: Our ground coffee is perfectly suited to make drip or a pour over in your Chemex. For other brewing methods - espresso, cold brew, or French press - consider our whole bean coffees and grinding at home
- Sourcing With Impact: The coffee you buy can impact the welfare of the people and planet. Peet’s is actively engaged in driving positive impact in communities where our coffees are grown
- Rich. Complex. Incomparable. Masters of our craft for over 50 years, we hand roast the very best coffees in the world.
- One 12 oz bag of Lavazza Classico ground coffee
- Roast: Medium
- Intensity: 5/10
- Taste: Delicate
- Aromatic Notes: Dry Fruit
- PREMIUM GROUND COFFEE—Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this 28-ounce bag of Caffè Verona dark roast ground coffee
- STARBUCKS CAFFÈ VERONA BLEND—A well-balanced and rich dark roast coffee, Starbucks Caffè Verona blend is a storied dark roast with notes of dark cocoa and caramelized sugar
- FRESH TASTE—Starbucks adheres to the highest quality standards—shipping you the same carefully roasted 100% arabica coffee beans we brew in our cafés
- MAKE IT YOUR OWN—An everyday cup no matter how you brew it, Starbucks coffee is carefully ground to be ideal for a variety of brewing methods, including drip brewer, coffee press, pour-over and moka pot
- ETHICALLY SOURCED—Starbucks is committed to 100% ethical coffee sourcing in partnership with Conservation International
- One 30.8 oz canister of Gevalia House Blend Medium Roast Ground Coffee
- House blend coffee is made with 100% Arabica beans
- Our beans are slow roasted and snap cooled to lock in subtle caramel and citrus flavors
- Medium roast coffee has a smooth and balanced flavor
- Canisters contain about 123 perfectly cared for cups of coffee
- The signature 6th Avenue Bistro from Seattle’s Best Coffee comes in a pack of three 12 oz. bags of ground coffee
- This high-quality dark roast is bold and full-bodied with notes of chocolate that brews a delicious rich cup, every time
- Seattle's Best Coffee is made from 100% Arabica beans sourced from Latin America and always smooth roasted to perfection
- Seattle’s Best Coffee is always the smart, affordable choice. Skip the coffee shop and brew a delicious bold roast coffee at home
- For a great cup of smooth coffee, we recommend brewing 2 tbsp of ground coffee for every 6 fl. oz. of water
- YUBAN COFFEE: One 31 oz canister of Yuban Traditional Medium Roast Ground Coffee
- MEDIUM ROAST COFFEE: Yuban Traditional Medium Roast Ground Coffee is perfect for those who love a medium acid bite
- TRADITIONAL ROAST: Full-bodied traditional roast coffee beans with a rich aroma
- 100% PURE COFFEE: Made with Robusta and Arabica beans
- BREW IT YOUR WAY: Compatible with your drip coffee maker, French press or pour-over brewer
- PREMIUM GROUND COFFEE: Starbucks delivers exceptional coffee cup after cup with this limited edition 17-ounce bag of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Naturally Flavored ground coffee
- PUMPKIN SPICE NATURALLY FLAVORED COFFEE: Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Naturally Flavored Coffee is a cozy fall coffee that comes to life with notes of pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg that are perfect for warming the crisp days to come
- A TOAST TO PUMPKIN SPICE'S 20TH: Celebrate 20 years of Starbucks Pumpkin Spice with this delicious limited-time flavor of your favorite coffees
- PERFECT FOR FALL RECIPES: With Starbucks seasonal coffees like Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee, you'll be able to make comforting recipes that fill your cup, delight your taste buds and awe your friends
- LIMITED-TIME EXCLUSIVE: Like the season itself, these limited-edition fall coffees won't be around for long, so be sure to explore all the fall seasonal offerings like Starbucks Salted Caramel Mocha and Starbucks Fall Blend before they're gone
Initially, people boiled whole beans to make coffee which would take wrong and also irregularly extract the flavor and also the aroma the result was mostly a high caffeine bitter solution. But with time breaking coffee into pieces was noted to bring a bit more balanced and rich flavor and with ground coffee brewing time was even reduced.
Coffee is ground after it has gone through the roasting process. Coffee roasting helps extract and develop different flavors in the coffee which people want to taste in brewing. Finer ground coffee with fully extract the coffee flavor making it strong.
Coffee grinding levels
Extra-coarse is like small pebbles while coarse grind coffee is like seal coarse salt and the particles are chunky. The medium sized ground coffees are textured like coarse sand while fine grind coffee is sooth with salt or sugar feel when rubbed between fingers. Extra fine grounds have the grit fill and not as powdery as sugar though is still a ball park. The flour like grinds is the Turkish ground coffee which is most powdery.
Coffee grinding size and brewing method
The size in which a coffee bean is ground is one of the determine factor on how the coffee will be stronger or balanced the coffee will be. Different brewing method also requires certain size of ground coffee. For instance espresso will require fine ground coffee beans since it takes very little time to brew and extract the flavor. Espresso machine also uses pressure thus forcing water to pass through the ground.
On the other side French press requires medium coarse ground coffee so as not to over extract the coffee flavor especially the bitterness. Something else that makes coarse found coffee for most brewing method including filter and pour over is the fact that water flows more easily through the grounds to extract flavor. Moreover, unlike the fine ground coffee, coarse grounds cannot fall through the filter holes in to the coffee brew.
Basically toddy brewer goes well with the extra-coarse ground coffee beans while percolator, cupping and French press methods will produce a great cup of coffee with a coarse grind. Chemex and cafe solo coffee brewers are good with medium coarse grounds and flat bottom coffee drip brewer with medium grounds.
For the moka pot, cone filter drip, vacuum pot, pour over, porta filtered espresso machine and siphon brewer, a medium fine ground coffee beans wit be just fine. Espresso brewing and aero press are best fitted for fine ground coffee while the extra fine or powdery grounds brew well using Turkish brewer.
Effect of the roasting process to coffee grounds
Dark roasted coffee beans are more brittle when ground than the light roasted coffee beans. This is due to the fact that as the beans are roasted darker, they lose more moisture content. Light roasted coffee beans are more tenacious than the dark roasted coffee beans. Depending on the brewing method you are using, dark roasted and light roasted beans need to be ground differently and at different sizes.
How soon the coffee is roasted after harvesting will also affect how the coffee grounds. Ultimately coffee is ready for roasting 3 to six months after harvesting. Green coffee beans gets woodier the more they stay without roasting which effects how the coffee roasts. Coffee ground sooner after harvesting will give finer dust particles than those which have overstayed. Coffee beans are best when roasted soonest possible after harvesting.
Pre-ground coffee beans
Whole beans keep flavor more than the ground coffee beans especially when they are in the green bean state. Whole coffee bean, even when roasted keeps the coffee oils stay intact in the beans protected by the outer shell and the fact that less surface are is exposed.
The moment the bean is ground, the coffee can lose it quality flavor and aroma in minutes. Coffee flavor, oils and aroma are very volatile most of which are made by soluble components and are very chemically reactive to the surrounding environment.
Coffee experts always suggest that for a fresh cup of coffee, fresh roasted and fresh ground beans are the best. So it is always advisable to make a habit of having at least the option of grinding your own coffee beans. It is also recommended that you should only ground coffee beans which you can consume there and there.
The challenge why most people prefer the already ground coffee is the fact that whole beans are expensive to buy and the grinding process makes coffee making a big process. `
Reasons why you should not buy Pre-Ground coffee
- Ground coffee can easily get contaminated. The oils, flavor and aroma components can easily pick the odors and other particles around them which may destroy the original coffee tasting as well as the scent.
- Ground coffee also exposes it compounds to the atmosphere which get oxidized by oxygen making coffee lose about 60 percent of its aroma a few minutes after grinding.
- Since the oils, flavor and aroma components are soluble in water including the caffeine. When the coffee grounds are exposed to moisture, the volatile oils in the coffee are diluted while the other compounds will dissolve in the moisture as well depriving the coffee of it taste and aroma.
- Losing of the C02 gas created during the roasting process is another reason why on shelf ground coffee is not an option for you. The co2 gas helps in getting the oils found in the coffee beans in to the coffee when they are released. In the time of coffee grinding, more than 80 percent of the gas is lost within the first one hour
Food prepared with ground coffees in them
Cookies- Sugar cookies can be made with coffee as major ingredient to add flavor. The cookies are baked with bits of coffee grounds distributed all over the cookie. Another type of cookie is the mocha cookie which is made using the mocha to flavor the cookies.
Steak- The steak is rubbed with the coffee to make a very tasty and juicy piece of meat to serve to friends and family members. Coffee grounds can also be mixed with other ingredients to make a paleo steak coffee rub.
Chocolate brownie- This is a dessert brownie flavored with coffee grounds so as to make it have the smooth taste of coffee in it.
Muffins- Mocha can be used to make very great tasty muffins which are good for lunch, breakfast or just taken as a snack. They also freeze pleasantly. You can also make muffins using chunks of chocolate prepared using espresso brewing. Some other muffin to make using coffee ground is the coffee cake.
Coffee grounds can also be used to make cakes, biscuits, bacon, scones, donuts ice cream flavoring and also beverages. Beside steak, meat products like grilled chicken and turkey can also be rubbed or served with coffee. Ground coffee can either be industrial or domestically used to flavor food products. Chocolate is easily blended with coffee to be added into snacks.
Getting the right amount of coffee grounds for coffee brewing
Using coffee weight is more preferred than using the volume. During the roasting process the coffee beans lose more water and swell to increase the size. The higher the roasting degree is the more swelled the bean. Dark roasted coffees are large but weigh less while right roasted beans weigh more but occupy lesser space depending on the amount of the moisture present.
Weighing the coffee grounds for brewing or whole beans for grinding will not only give you a precise measurement based on the density but also help you avoid the approximation that occur while gauging measurement visually.
CoffeeCupNews delivers the top Ground Coffee with daily refreshed reviews and lists of the top selling and rated products. Don’t read old reviews, ours are current and relevant.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-09-25.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.