Best Kona Coffees in 2023
For firm believers, caffeine is the first thing that comes into the mind, especially during those pesky morning traffic jams or office meetings. As coffee sales are slowly rising among the millennial generation, this is the best time to get excited about coffee.
One coffee brand that is currently standing out from the rest is Kona Coffee. But what makes this brand different from others? You can read more about it below.
- KOLOA ESTATE MEDIUM ROAST - Light floral notes and bright aroma makes this blend a true taste of paradise
- 10% HAWAIIAN ORIGIN COFFEE - Taste Paradise One Cup at a Time with our Hawaiian coffee
- GROUND COFFEE BEANS – Our Roast Masters use premium beans to capture the easygoing character and subtle nuances that distinguish our ground Kauai coffee; 10 oz package
- ARABICA COFFEE - The ground coffee in medium roast has a smooth taste with no bitterness
- KAUAI COFFEE COMPANY ESTATE - Hawaii’s largest coffee estate is open year-round offering farm tours and coffee tastings
- PRIVATE RESERVE KONA: Our medium roast private reserve 100% Kona ground coffee makes a delicious cup with a smooth, full bodied flavor.
- ALOHA FROM HAWAII: Royal Kona Coffee features 100% pure Kona coffee milled at our facility in Captain Cook in the Kona region on Hawaii's Big Island, right in the heart of the growing region of one of the world's most famous coffees.
- TASTE OF HAWAII: This exquisite private reserve coffee is always fresh and offered to you by the largest roaster of Kona Coffee in the world, Hawaii's leading supplier of coffee to the Island's hotels, restaurants, and retail stores.
- ONLY THE BEST: Each premium Kona bean is selected from the best of the Kona harvests and then expertly roasted to produce a gourmet cup of Kona coffee.
- SINCE 1969: We've been roasting premium 100% Kona and 10% Kona blend coffee since 1969. Every bag of our Kona is fresh and packed with delightful, authentic flavor.
- TASTE: Enjoy the smooth and rich flavor of Hawaiian Kona Coffee, known for its unique and complex taste profile.
- QUALITY: 100% pure, extra fancy Arabica beans, whole bean, medium roast and not a blend to ensure the highest quality of coffee.
- ORIGIN: Sourced directly from the Kona region in Hawaii, grown in rich volcanic soil for a unique flavor experience.
- FRESHNESS: Roasted to perfection, our beans are packaged in airtight bags to preserve freshness and quality.
- SIZE: 1 lb bag of whole bean coffee, perfect for coffee enthusiasts who want a premium experience.
- 100% Hawaiian Kona Extra Fancy - NOT A BLEND
- Extra Fancy Grade
- Medium Roast
- 1lb - Whole Beans
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
- BALANCE, MELLOW FLORAL AROMA: 10% Kona coffee blended with premium Arabica beans, an excellent cup of coffee with a delicate floral aroma and subtle fruity notes.
- QUALITY IN EVERY CUP: Feel good about putting our 100% Arabica coffee into your coffee maker, knowing it’s blended, roasted and packed right here in the US.
- DON FRANCISCO’S COFFEE Family Reserve nitrogen-flushed coffee bags feature a one-way valve to maintain freshness so you can enjoy the rich, bold, smooth taste of our family crafted coffee in every brewed cup. Perfect for all drip coffee makers, pour-over coffee brewers and French press.
- SUSTAINABLY MINDED: Coffee Driven: Don Francisco's Coffee is committed to providing premium coffee with a greener footprint and promoting sustainable practices.
- FAMILY CRAFTED COFFEE since 1870: Inspired by four generations of expertise, we’ve carried on the legacy of sourcing the world’s best coffee beans and roasting them to perfection.
Samuel Reverend Ruggles planted the first coffee tree from Oahu in the Kona region of Kailua-Kona back in 1828 and nurtured it till it grew into a coffee empire. About three million coffee trees had grown throughout the region by 1899. Today, you will see more than 650 farms dedicated to coffee cultivation in the Kona district.
The Kona Coffee Living History Farm, the Greenwell Store, and other original plantations have now been converted into museums that are open to the public so that they can learn and discover the stories behind the roasters, millers and the coffee farmers who have been working and harvesting coffee for years. The levels of attention to detail and care have been passed down from generations that have ultimately resulted in this aromatic and flavorful cup of coffee.
Why Kona Coffee?
Kona coffee is an Arabica coffee that is cultivated and harvested on the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa in the northern and southern districts of Big Island, Hawaii. Just as a bottle of sparkling white wine from France’s Champagne region is named Champagne, coffee grown from the Kona district is called and marketed as Kona.
These coffee beans are grown in the most perfect conditions where the climate is mild and consists of a little wind. The mornings are a bit sunny and the afternoons often bring clouds or rain. The volcanic soil is fertile and full of minerals. In fact, each Kona coffee farm produces distinct types of beans, depending on the microclimate in the region. Thanks to such factors, Hawaii Kona Coffee has a unique advantage over other types of coffee that are grown in regions like Columbia and Brazil.
Harvesting Kona coffee
Kona Coffee trees bloom during the months of January and May. The locals call the small coffee tree white blooms ‘Kona Snow’, which has a very sweet fragrance. After a couple of months, the blossoms melt away and leave behind the coffee bean-containing green cherry. Over the warm summer months, these cherries further ripen and are meticulously picked by hand once they turn dark and rosy red.
Upon reaching the coffee processing center, the beans are dried naturally in the sun. Once dried, the beans are ready to be sorted, milled, graded, and sent to be roasted at the plantation itself.
What does Kona Coffee taste like?
The taste of real Kona Coffee is very unique and has a flavor profile of six mixtures, each of them making Kona unparalleled and different. When you brew a Kona Coffee cup, you will first notice its delightful fragrance. The taste is rich and sweet, yet the honey-like and nutty flavor will remind you of the taste of fruit, cocoa or caramel.
The brew has low acidity, thereby making it smooth on the palate and gentle on the digestion. You will definitely enjoy the bittersweet aftertaste of nuts or citrus on your tongue. Kona Coffee’s will not give you jitters like your regular cup of coffee; you will feel rejuvenated, yet calm.
But, the fragrance profile will vary from one farm to another. In some coffee farms, you might find more of a berry-like aroma. In others, you will smell the distinct scent of vanilla. Similarly, the taste profile will also vary, but it is sure that any type of Kona coffee bean will undeniably produce a smooth, mellow and rich cup of coffee that is filled with the best flavor.
Some best Kona coffee
Here are some of the best Kona coffees:
Keala’s Hawaiian Coffee
You will experience the best roasted Kona coffee. The coffee is handpicked from slopes of Holualoa, Kona, and ground in Seattle. The company’s direct relationship with the coffee farmers in the region reflects on their commitment to the age-old traditions of the coffee farmers here. This cup of coffee shines and tells you how balanced the cup of coffee is. It is a medium roast and has a very pleasant body. You will taste hints of passion fruit and toasted coconut in this coffee. It also has a slight acidity.
Volcanica Coffee – Hawaiian Kona Coffee
The flavor of this coffee is rich and full. It has a very straightforward character and is full-bodied. You will have a delicious cup of coffee that is low on acidity, has a winy and rich taste, and a heady aroma. Volcanica Coffee’s Kona roast is creamy, rich, and well-rounded. Again, these Kona coffee beans are grown on the lands of the dark volcanic lava rock slopes of Kona and harvested at altitudes of 1,500-2,000 feet. Volcanica Coffee also plants a lot of other trees to protect their coffee farms from animals and pests.
Koa Coffee – Medium Roast Tripack
This Tripack comes with three different sample bags: Estate, Private Reserve and Grande Domaine. Each one of these bags contains the most authentic Kona coffee beans grown in Hawaii. These samples have been harvested from different regions of the place and have a subtle taste and body differences. The beans are cultivated and harvested very selectively and carefully, which is a sign of excellence and dedication from Koa Coffee. The resulting cup of coffee will be smooth, rich, and will not disappoint you.
Koa Coffee – Peaberry Kona
Yet another great roast by Koa Coffee, this flavor is centered on the peaberry, which is a rare mutation in coffee cherries that results in a single bean shaped like an oval instead of the two regular flat beans nestled together. This coffee blend has a sharp and fruity, yet light, flavor. Because of its tart sweetness, people often call the peaberry ‘the champagne of coffee’. The smooth body of this medium roast will not make you feel jittery; so it is great for people who are limiting the acid levels.
If you are truly are a coffee addict, you need to try a Kona Coffee at least once before you leave for the heavenly abode. While the Kona coffee brands are priced a bit higher than other coffee brands, it is all worth it. Each sip you have will be smooth and delicious and coupled with an aromatic brew. You can simply take your time while drinking your cup of one of the best coffees anywhere in the world.
CoffeeCupNews delivers the top Kona Coffee with daily refreshed reviews and lists of the top selling and rated products. Don’t read old reviews, ours are current and relevant.
Amazon Best Rated Products - Last Updated on 2023-11-22.
DISCLAIMER: There are affiliate links on this page. This means that at no cost to you, we will receive a small commission if you purchase through our link.